A year of fantastic events
Below are just some of the events happening in and around Inverness during the year. Just click on the event to find out more information. Certain events, especially The Loch Ness Marathon and The Inverness Highland Games do attract many visitors and early booking of your accommodation is essential.
Inverness Farmers’ Market is held on the first Saturday of every month at the Eastgate Shopping Centre.
Just click on the event name to go to the appropriate website.
- Eden Court Theatre & Cinema Complex – for a wide range of entertainment including plays, music, lectures, dance
- Hootananny & Mad Hatters – Music Venues
- The Ironworks – Music and Entertainment Venue
- Gellions Bar – Pub with live music
- The Waterfront – Bar and restaurant with live folk music on Thursday nights
Highland Games & Gatherings
During the summer months from May to September the Scottish Highlands play host to many Highland Games & Gatherings. Some of these are listed below, but more information can be found on our Highland Games Page
January to March
- 28 & 29 January 2017 – Aviemore Sled Dog Rally – The largest Sled Dog Rally in Britain
- 18 February 2017 – The Snowman Rally – Round 1 of The Scottish Rally Championships is run around the Inverness area
- 12 March 2017 – Inverness Half Marathon – Includes 5k Fun Run
April to June
- 9 April 2017 – Glenlivet 10k Road Race – This beautiful 10km road race follows a scenic route from the distillery around the secret glen with stunning views all around
- 14 April 2017 – Good Friday Bank Holiday
- 16 April 2017 – Easter Sunday
- 17 April 2017 – Easter Monday Bank Holiday
- 23 April 2017 – Etape Loch Ness – A cycle sportive taking place around iconic Loch Ness offering the chance to cycle 66 miles / 106 km around the loch on traffic free roads.
- 27 April – 1 May 2017, Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival – Various Distilleries, Elgin, Morayshire
- 1 May 2017 – Bank Holiday
- 19 May 2017 – UB40 and Level 42 in Concert – Two legendary bands are playing on the same bill at The Northern Meeting Park. Let’s get the Red, Red Wine ready.
- 21 May 2017 – Gordon Castle Highland Games – Gordon Castle, Fochabers – Solo Piping and Highland Dancing Competitions as well as a full programme of heavy events.
- 27 May 2017 – Beach Boys in Concert – California Surf Rock comes to Inverness. The Boys are playing Inverness Leisure Centre. Looking forward to Good Vibrations
- 29 May 2017 – Spring Bank Holiday
- 20 June 2017 – Status Quo in Concert – They may have been rocking all over the World, but they will be in Inverness on June 20th
- 24 June 2017 – Piping at Forres – 4,000 Pipers & Drummers, 150 Pipe Bands, 100 Exhibitors. Great Glen Park will be alive with pipers and drummers competing in the European Pipe Band Championship
July to September
- 8 July 2017 – Forres Highland Games – Traditional Highland Games starts at 12:30 with the opening ceremony with massed Pipe Bands. Followed by all the traditional events and entertainment throughout the day, Including Tug o’ War, Heavy events, Solo Piping, Athletics, Highland dancing Grass Cycling, a road Race and Pipe band competition.
- 15 July 2017 – Inverness Highland Games – Held in the centre of Inverness. a must see event that is hugely popular with locals and visitors. Book early if you want to see this magnificent spectacle
- 16 July 2017 – Bryan Adams in Concert – The Canadian Rocker Bryan Adams plays his only Scottish concert in Inverness at Bught Park. Let’s party like it is the Summer of ’69
- 22 July 2017 – Olly Murs in Concert – Another fantastic concert in Bught Park
- 28-30 July 2017 – Speyfest – The best in traditional and contemporary celtic music is represented in the Moray town of Fochabers
- 29 July 2017 – Nairn Show – A whole host of entertainment with livestock exhibitions, craft fair, food fair, show jumping, trade stands, cookery demonstrations and much more. A great family day out.
- TBA August – Black Isle Show – Held At Mannsfield Showground, Muir of Ord, Ross-Shire. The biggest agricultural show in the North of Scotland. Book early to avoid disappointment.
- 4 August 2017 – Dornoch Highland Gathering – Another hugely enjoyable event held in the picturesque village of Dornoch just a 40 minute drive north of Inverness
- 4 & 5 August 2017 – Highland Field Sports Fair, Moy, Inverness – Entertainment and activity for both young and old. Mainly featuring field sports activities but also competitions such as fly casting, gun dog handling and clay pigeon shooting.
- 3 – 5 August 2017 – Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival – Held on the Belladrum Estate near Beauly. This is an outdoor music festival for all the family with an eclectic range of music from rock to country, and blues to world music
- 19 August 2017 – Nairn Highland Games – A true local Highland games in a fantastic location right beside the fabulous beach
- 26 August 2017 – Glenurquhart Highland Gathering & Games – Another highly popular event held in the small town of Drumnadrochit on the shore of Loch Ness
- 3 September, Loch Ness Beast Race – A 10k race with rough terrain and awesome obstacles to overcome. Not for the faint hearted!
- 8 – 10 September – The Highland Military Tattoo – The Highland Military Tattoo will take place at the magnificent Fort George just outside Inverness.
- 12 – 17 September 2017, Nairn Book and arts festival –Nairn’s celebration of literature, drama, art, film and music beside the Moray Firth
- TBA September – Blas Traditional Music Festival – A celebration of traditional music
- TBA September, Findhorn Bay Arts Festival – The biennial Findhorn Bay Festival is a spectacular five-day celebration of arts and culture, taking place at the heart of Moray and showcasing artists of national and international renown.
- 24 September 2017 – Loch Ness Marathon & Festival of Running – Not only a marathon, but aslo 5K and 10K River Ness fun runs. The Marathon takes place along the shores of Loch Ness. Book accommodation early as everywhere gets booked up very quickly.
October to December
- 13 – 15 October 2017 – Loch Ness Knitfest 2017 – Join us in the heart of the Highlands this Autumn for three days packed full of knitting wonder
- October Dates TBA – Blazin’ in Beauly – A superb event for anyone who loves fiddle music
- 29 October 2017 – The Culloden Run – The legendary Culloden Battlefield provides the stunning background for a superb running event with historic landmarks at every turn. Runners chose between two race routes; a 10K race or the infamous 17.46k race which pays homage to the Battle of Culloden in 1746
- October – Halloween Show, Ness Islands – The biggest Halloween Party in the Highlands and a great event for all the family
- November Dates TBA – Inverness Film Festival – A celebration of film at the Eden Court Theatre and Cinema
- 31 December – The Red Hot Highland Fling – We certainly know how to throw a New Years Party.