A year of fantastic events in the Scottish Highlands
There is so much happening in Inverness and the Highlands that it can be difficult to decide just what to do and where to go. To help you with this we have developed the Inverglen Guest House Calander of events which highlight some of the best events happening in and around Inverness during the year. Just click on the event to find out more information. Certain events, especially The Loch Ness Marathon and The Inverness Highland Games do attract many visitors and early booking of your Inverness accommodation is essential.
Inverness Farmers’ Market is held on the first Saturday of every month at the Eastgate Shopping Centre. This is just a five-minute walk from Inverglen Guest House.
Just click on the event name to go to the appropriate website.
Regular Entertainment in Inverness
All of the locations below are within an easy walk of our Inverness B&B.
- Eden Court Theatre & Cinema Complex – for a wide range of entertainment including plays, music, lectures, dance
- Hootananny & Mad Hatters – Music Venues including traditional Scottish Folk Sessions. Music every evening (and Ceilidh on Saturday afternoons)
- MacGregors Bar – All the best in Scottish food, drink and music. Regular live sessions
- The Ironworks – Music and Entertainment Venue
- Gellions Bar – Pub with live music most nights
- The Waterfront – Bar and Restaurant with live folk music on Thursday nights
- British Legion Pipe Band – Perform in Inverness High Street every Tuesday from 8 pm until 8.30 pm (usually from end June until early September)
Highland Games & Gatherings
During the summer months from May to September, the Scottish Highlands plays host to many Highland Games & Gatherings. Some of these are listed below, but more information can be found on our Highland Games Page. Once again the Inverness Games and Gathering in July is an easy walk from our Inverness accommodation.
Inverness Farmers Market
On the first Saturday of every month (except January), Inverness High Street is the venue for the Inverness Farmers Market. This bustling street market has a variety of retailers with many specialising in local food products and local arts and crafts. You can find more details at – http://www.invernessfarmersmarket.co.uk/
January to March
- 26 & 27 January 2019 – Aviemore Sled Dog Rally – The largest Sled Dog Rally in Britain
- 9 February 2019 – The Snowman Rally – Round 1 of The Scottish Rally Championships is run around the Inverness area
- 10 March 2019 – Inverness Half Marathon – Includes 5k Fun Run
April to June
- 7 April 2019 – Glenlivet 10k Road Race – This beautiful 10km road race follows a scenic route from the distillery around the secret glen with stunning views all around
- 13 April 2019 – Inverness Whisky & Gin Festival Big Day Out – Discover the true SPIRIT of Scotland in the heart of the Highlands. A celebration of Scotland’s finest malt whisky and craft gin producers mixed with liberal dashes of master classes, tastings, food, music and Highland ‘craic’.
- 28 April 2019 – Etape Loch Ness – A cycle sportive taking place around iconic Loch Ness offering the chance to cycle 66 miles / 106 km around the loch on traffic free roads.
- 1 – 6 May 2019, Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival – Various Distilleries, Elgin, Morayshire
- 3 -5 May 2019 – Crime and Thrillers Weekend – Organised by Cromarty Arts Trust
- 2 – 5 May 2019 – Bandstand Beer and Music Festival – Popular festival in the nearby town of Nairn
- 11 May 2019 – Glen Affric Duathlon – Staged within the Glen Affric Nature Reserve – often described as Scotland’s most beautiful glen – this is a run/bike/run event.
- TBA – Inverness Classic Vehicle Show – Vehicles from all eras are on display throughout the City centre
- 19 May 2019 – Gordon Castle Highland Games – Gordon Castle, Fochabers – Events include Solo Piping and Highland Dancing Competitions as well as a full programme of heavy events.
- 1 – 2 June 2019 – Mountain Bike World Cup, Fort William – Two great days of competition on the Saturday and Sunday, plus lots of other activities in and around the World Cup Village. The Nevis Range ski area is taken over by the World Cup
- 14 – 23 June 2019 – Moray Walking & Outdoor Festival – This festival is one of the UK’s premier outdoor activity and walking festivals. With 58 organised events to choose from.
- 29 June 2019 – Piping Inverness – 4,000 Pipers Drummers 150 Pipe Bands, 100 Exhibitors. Bught Park Inverness will be alive with pipers and drummers competing in the European Pipe Band Championship
July to September
- TBA – Forres Highland Games – Traditional Highland Games starts at 12:30 with the opening ceremony with massed Pipe Bands. Followed by all the traditional events and entertainment throughout the day, Including Tug o’ War, Heavy events, Solo Piping, Athletics, Highland dancing Grass Cycling, a road Race and Pipe band competition.
- 20 July 2019 – Inverness Highland Games – Held in the centre of Inverness. a must see event that is hugely popular with locals and visitors. Book early if you want to see this magnificent spectacle
- 20 July 2019 – Lochcarron Highland Games – Lochcarron Highland Games feature the traditional mixture of heavy events, track and field plus highland dancing and piping displays
- 20 July 2019 – Tomintoul Highland Games– One of Scotland’s longest running Highland Games, showcasing traditional heavy and light events, highland dancing and piping competitions.
- TBA – Nairn Show – A whole host of entertainment with livestock exhibitions, craft fair, food fair, show jumping, trade stands, cookery demonstrations and much more. A great family day out.
- 27 July 2019 – Dufftown Highland Games – A taste of something Scottish for everybody. A full programme of Light and Heavy Events
- 1 August 2019 – Black Isle Show – Held At Mannsfield Showground, Muir of Ord, Ross-Shire. The biggest agricultural show in the North of Scotland. Book early to avoid disappointment.
- 2 – 4 August 2018 – Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival – Held on the Belladrum Estate near Beauly. This is an outdoor music festival for all the family with an eclectic range of music from rock to country, and blues to world music
- 3 August 2018 – Dornoch Highland Gathering – Another hugely enjoyable event held in the picturesque village of Dornoch just a 40-minute drive north of Inverness
- 3-4 August 2018 – Highland Field Sports Fair, Moy, Inverness – Entertainment and activity for both young and old. Mainly featuring field sports activities but also competitions such as fly casting, gun dog handling and clay pigeon shooting.
- 10 August 2019 – Bright Beauly Fair – Celebrating the best of Highlands & Islands Arts, Crafts, Music & Food
- 11 August 2018 – Strathpeffer Highland Games – Traditional games held at Castle Leod
- 11 August 2018 – Abernethy Highland Games – “The Friendly Games” at Nethy Bridge
- 12 August 2018 – Aviemore Triathlon – An exciting, challenging, fun, and a little bit bonkers off-road Swim + Mountain Bike + Trail Run race.
- 18 August 2018 – Nairn Highland Games – A true local Highland games in a fantastic location right beside the fabulous beach
- 18 August 2018 – Groove Loch Ness – Groove Loch Ness will once again transform the world famous location into Scotland’s biggest nightclub under the stars
- 23 – 26 August 2018 – Blair Castle International Horse Trials and Country Fair – Equestrian sport dominates the four days, competitors ranging from Olympic champions to local Pony Club children and everyone in between
- 24 – 25 August 2018 – Thunder in the Glens – The largest Harley Davidson motorbike rally in the UK with around 5000 bikes to see and hear!
- 25 August 2018 – Glenurquhart Highland Gathering & Games – Another highly popular event held in the small town of Drumnadrochit on the shore of Loch Ness
- 1 September 2018 – Loch Ness Beast Race – A 10k race with rough terrain and awesome obstacles to overcome. Not for the faint-hearted!
- 1 September 2018 – Carve Carrbridge – Chainsaw Carving Competition
- 2 September 2018 – Motormania – Grantown-on-Spey Around 400 Classic Cars on display, with their owners only too delighted to talk about them. Stands, pipers, Highland dancing.
- 7 – 15 September 2018 – Blas Traditional Music Festival – A celebration of traditional music
- 8 September 2018 – Grandslam 2018 – Simple Minds, The Pretenders & KT Tunstall all on the same bill in Inverness
- 11 – 16 September 2018, Nairn Book and arts festival –Nairn’s celebration of literature, drama, art, film and music beside the Moray Firth
- 26 – 30 September 2018, Findhorn Bay Arts Festival – The biennial Findhorn Bay Festival is a spectacular five-day celebration of arts and culture, taking place at the heart of Moray and showcasing artists of national and international renown.
- 28 – 30 September 2018 – The Bandstand Autumn Beer Festival – Around 40 different ales and ciders at this popular Nairn event.
- 23 September 2018 – Loch Ness Marathon & Festival of Running – Not only a marathon but also 5K and 10K River Ness fun runs. The Marathon takes place along the shores of Loch Ness. Book accommodation early as everywhere gets booked up very quickly.
- 28 – 29 September 2018 – Loopallu – Boutique music festival in Ullapool
October to December
- 18 – 20 October 2018 – Inverness Street Theatre Festival – A favourite of ours – Great Fun!
- 19 – 21 October 2018 – Loch Ness Knitfest 2018 – Join us in the heart of the Highlands this Autumn for three days packed full of knitting wonder
- 28 October 2018 – The Culloden Run – The legendary Culloden Battlefield provides the stunning background for a superb running event with historic landmarks at every turn. Runners chose between two race routes; a 10K race or the infamous 17.46k race which pays homage to the Battle of Culloden in 1746
- 27 – 28 October 2018 – Halloween Show, Ness Islands – The biggest Halloween Party in the Highlands and a great event for all the family
- 5 November 2018 – Civic Bonfire and Firework Display
- November Dates TBA – Inverness Film Festival – A celebration of film at the Eden Court Theatre and Cinema
- 31 December – The Red Hot Highland Fling – We certainly know how to throw a New Years Party.