Outdoor Activities to get the heart pumping
A stay at Inverglen Guest House puts you within easy reach of Loch Ness which offers plenty of activities on both land and water – all set against the breathtaking backdrop of Highland scenery.
Water-based activities include sailing or canoeing as well as fishing for salmon, trout, sea-trout, char or pike. For the brave, you can even go for a swim.
Loch Ness is surrounded by fantastic walking trails that cater for all abilities from well signposted and accessible walks through to challenging hill walks and long distance hikes along the Great Glen way. Want to give your legs a rest? Why not try horse riding with trails giving excellent views of Loch Ness and the surrounding countryside.
Biking is also popular and there are plenty of bike hire organisations.
For the more energetic, there are plenty of adventure sports on offer in the area – mountain biking, windsurfing, paragliding and skiing on the Nevis Range. Remember, Scotland is the home of golf, so don’t forget to pack your clubs (see our golf page for more details).
Spotlight on Rothiemurchus
Just a 30-minute car ride from Inverness will bring you to the magnificent Cairngorm National Park. This is the largest National Park in the UK at 4,528 sq km (1,748 sq miles) – twice the size of the Lake District National Park and bigger than the whole of Luxembourg. Located in the heart of the park is Rothiemurchus, a special and unique place with a blend of stunning landscapes, exciting outdoor activities, and locally sourced Scottish crafts and foods.
You may choose simply to walk or cycle around the carefully maintained paths, taking in the spectacular scenery. Or perhaps you would like to take part in some of the many outdoor activities they offer; from clay shooting, fishing, quad bike trekking, and pony hacking, and to archery, wildlife watching and river kayaking.
You can learn more about Rothiemurchus and all they have to offer on their website – http://rothiemurchus.net/
Why not check out some of the organisations that can help you be active:
- Inverness Bike Hire – Mountain bike hire in the centre of Inverness
- Ticket to Ride – A large range of bikes for hire in Inverness
- Inverness Bike Tours – 2 hours guided tour of the waterways of Inverness
- Loch Ness Riding – Trekking and riding lessons
- In Your Element– Fantastic adventures on land and water (also offering canoe and equipment hire)
- Explore Highland – Bespoke canoeing, kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding experiences
- Rothiemurchus – A whole host of outdoor activities in the Cairngorm National Park
- Learnie Red Rock – Mountain biking trails.